It is always possible to have access to Geochemistry help. Geochemistry help is provided in a special window that can always be viewed, even inside modal (locked) dialogues. We recommend starting the Geochemistry help (F1) at the start of the application and leaving this open at all times.
Version: 1.27+ (Aug 2020)
Usage: Help --> Geochemistry help...
Using Geochemistry Help
The software’s Geochemistry Help module is the place to find information about the properties (columns) used across the software. Geochemistry help is accessed via Help --> Geochemistry help... or the toolbar shortcut icon on the far right of the toolbar, or using the F1 keyboard shortcut.
Searching in the geochemistry help uses the property selector used across the system. By default the user can select to search for properties within an Analysis group, or to look specifically for a property based on a string match against the name or aliases.
Using the advanced search options it is possible to filter the results on the following groups:
- Property type - whether it is a standard, gas, molecular or well property;
- Property character - whether it is text, numeric, ratio, or equation
- Special property characteristics - whether it is a project property, or just .Any or excluding .Any properties
- and, whether you want to see only properties with data in the current project (this will automatically also exclude .Any properties as these do not store data).
Each group can have multiple options selected (with the groups it would include the criteria as 'or', so for example if you checked Gas and Molecular it would show both Gas and Molecular properties). Across the groups you can combine criteria and this means 'and'. So in the example shown in the image above you are searching for properties that include the string "pr", are molecular properties, and excluding .Any properties. This advanced search is also provided across the system when selecting multiple properties.
Geochemistry Help is provided to assist in finding and identifying properties which exist in the IGI property model. The Geochemistry help viewer Property description tab displays:
- Long Name - a descriptive name.
- Short Name - the short form of the name used widely across the software in graphs, pages, and other artefacts.
- Default units - the default units of measure for the property, which will be shown for all available indicators for gas and GC data.
- Analysis - both the short form, and in brackets the longer descriptive name.
- Simple equation - a short name only form, for easy reading.
- Complete equation - a complete description of the equation using property short names, analysis, indicators, unit and ratio.
- Equation uom - the target unit of measure for the equation.
- Description - a textual description of the property.
- Associated Image - if applicable an image will be provided to illustrate the property - this can be especially helpful for GCxx measured properties where an example GC trace is often provided.
- Aliases - these are a list of strings by which the property might also be referred to. Note the aliases have been stripped of white space, converted to lower case and have special symbols removed.
- Associated ig.NET page - A hyperlink that will take you directly to the most relevant ig.NET page will be provided if applicable.
A customised Help display is presented for .Any properties. Along with the property Long Name, Short Name and Default Unit information, a pre-defined hierarchical preference order is shown.
The Geochemistry Help Property values tab displays the basic naming and unit information, but also the ranges used to identify atypical data (out of range values) in the spreadsheet.
© 2024 Integrated Geochemical Interpretation Ltd. All rights reserved.